Monday, February 18, 2008

Why I Go To The Theatre

There are many reasons why people go to the Theatre... entertainment, a nice evening, something different, inspiration, love of art, and the list goes on. HEre's why I go.

I love it. Something about a play or a musical that takes you out of your own world and places you in the world of someone else. Anyone else on stage. You can be placed in the main character's world or the world of a person who only walks out on the stage once. There's something magical about the theatre....something hypnotizing.

Ken Davenport in his blog The Producer's Prospective (see my faves) mentions the LFF. LFF is the Lean Forward Factor. Some shows you go to you just sit there...but other's cause you to lean forward. The first time I went to see a broadway show, I saw Aida. I leaned forward. I thought it was so inappropriate. I couldn't help it! Something was drawing me into the world of the play, the characters, the scene, the meaning behind it all.

It's how I feel about Jekyll and Hyde. When I read it, I lean Forward. I'm drawn into the deeper meaning. I feel for each character. I can relate, I can believe, I can think about what each character must be going through.

Tonight I saw PUSH written for and preformed by our SOT Grad Students. They did an amazing job...however, it was really long. But here's the thing. I leaned forward. I was drawn into everything that was going on. All of these different plots revolving around one character's misfortune. Courage. Confusion. Life. Love. Everything was appealing. The actors were so convincing. So real. I know a few of them from acting class or just being around school of theatre. It was as if I could go up and touch them... and they would be that character who they were. They would be different from the people I knew...someone else.

So it was good. Props to the actors, crew, director and playwright.

I am now in the cast of Jekyll and Hyde. A few girls dropped out and they need to fill the chorus roles. I start tomorrow. I'm really reluctant. Wish Me Luck.

Until another thought~!
Me

No comments: