Thursday, March 20, 2008

Inspiring Those with Dreams

So I posted this on a Forum that I'm in for Legally Blonde. Some girls were asking about Broadway Dreams and I feel like people always give the wrong impression about this. So Here's what I responded with.

Ok so I just read the main post so I'll respond to that and hopefully help some of ya'all out.

I have two dreams. The first is working at or for Disney. The other is working on Broadway. For a long time I have dreamed of performing on Broadway and I have been working towards it but I know my chances are slim. However, If I do get a chance to audition, I will. I was told by my acting teacher that I should go to Grad school for acting.

I'm a Junior in college. I have a year left. I am a Telecomunications major which works on production stuff for movies, radio, and TV. However, theatre is my passion and I have picked up a theatre minor and have been working with the Thespian group here since my Freshman year, earning Props Master my 2nd semester. After a ton of practice I landed my first ensemble role this semester (6th one) ( I go to school with a TON of talented people). I'm going to Disney in the Fall for the Disney College Program and hope to learn some "Entertainment" aka Theatre stuff down there.

My dream to be on broadway has changed. While I do want to go to Graduate school, I think it will be for Arts Management. I want to be a Production Assistant or work behind the scenes. However, I will go to auditions and put myself out there. You never know when an off-Broadway production or a smaller theatre company might need talent. You can work your way up. At least I can say I've performed in NY that way right? I would love to be in a touring company. Infact my friends are laughing at me because i have been telling them how much I want to be in the Touring Company of Legally Blonde. If I hear of an audition or find a way to get there, I'm going to get there.

Rule Number One: Don't let anyone tell you can't do it. You'll never know unless you try. Remember, Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars.

I think a lot of performers don't realize what they are doing when they perform. A lot of stagehands and so forth don't understand either. Those that do, are the ones who deserve to make it. Live Theatre is entertainment. You are providing a service (like any other job). You are giving audiences a chance to leave the real world, to think in a different way, to realize something they might be neglecting about themselves, and so much more. When I first fell in love with theatre it was because all I wanted to do was put a smile on someone's face. I started juggling and I was able to do that more. I started dancing and singing and juggling at the dance time. Having the ability to make people happy, to make people feel something new or something they forgot, is AMAZING. I hope you all can experience it.

I'm a Junior in College with parents who don't want me to pursue any kind of career in theatre, but they know how much I love it and they know somehow I'm going to get there. So have the drive and passion. You'll get there.

~~~~~~

I hope you liked it!

~Me

No comments: