Saturday, March 01, 2008

Why My College Upsets Me

Today is State Patty's Day.

I know what you're thinking. St. Patrick's Day isn't for another few weeks. My University and all of the brilliant people that go here got this crazy idea. Let's look back at History....

One year ago Tomorrow: A group of students, upset that St. Patrick's Day fell over spring Break, convince bar owners to open up for STATE Patty's day festivities. Basically, St. Patrick's Day festivities a few weeks early so students could celebrate. What I couldn't understand is why couldn't they just celebrate on St. Patrick's Day out of town? Why did we have to go and create a holiday.

Now This year: St. Patrick's Day falls the day we get from Spring Break. PLenty of time to celebrate...yet people feel the NEED to have STATE Patty's day again.

STATE Patty's day, bringing a lot of money to the bars and liquor stores in the area, is a poor excuse for students to dress in green and drink all day long. It just baffles me. Don't people have better things to do with their lives?

So this is why I am ashamed of my school...along with disrespecting fans of other football teams and all the other stuff that goes on here.

In Ireland they don't drink as much as people around here think they do. Infact, St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday there. They go to church and maybe they have a few beers. However, it is nothing like the United States portrays it and I am a little ticked. BUt what can you do? People will be people and say, "hey I created a holiday!"

People are just Stupid.

On a lighter note:
It snowed last night about 4 inches. I was driving today and I looked out my passenger side window and there is a 7ft snow man. These two college guys, not celebrating State patty's day, are on chairs putting the head on this thing. It was definitely a smile bringer. I wish i could have taken a picture.

Until Warm days~

No comments: