Friday, May 23, 2008

I do do sadness

I know this happened a week ago....but I am still getting over it and I can't believe I didn't get to see them again before they headed off stage.

Jon Groff and Lea Michele exited Spring Awakening May 18th 2008. I just watched a You Tube video of their final curtain call and the speeches they gave. Lea Michele could barely speak she was bawling. Jon was trying to comfort her and silently wave until she was ready to talk. They walked out in true style holding hands and of course Jon kissed her hand as they made their final exit. I hope at some point in the future they come back to reprise their roles. I have a feeling Spring Awakening may have a long following like RENT. Personally, I would have slept in a tent for three days outside of the Eugene O'Neill theatre to get tickets to their final performance. I love those guys and I've only seen them perform once. They are truly amazing in their roles. The way they created them and fulfilled them was out of pure love for what they are doing.

To think that they are going to be replaced is hard. I guess when John Gallagher Jr. left it wasn't too big a deal since it was pretty early on in the show still. But these two...such crucial parts of the show itself and how it came to life. I also didn't get to see JGJ perform so I might have a small bias towards the other two and Mr. Banshoff who was wonderful as MOritz.

I don't think their replacement is a big deal but who they are being replaced with is. I mean the new Melchior is some Canadian rock singer or something like that. I mean seriously? The new Wendla should be good because well, she's been studying Wendla for a long time.

Ugh. To Lea and Jon, I've only seen you perform once, but your heart and soul convinced me well enough that choosing to be a Spring Awakening fan before seeing the show was the right move. To be in love with the script, music, and talent that was chosen to create and form Spring Awakening as we know it is an honor. I personally love you guys and wish that you didn't have to go. I want you to come back so I can see you do it again. I promise to give the new kids a chance, but seriously....please come back. You guys are amazing.

A Fan
~Me

No comments: