Sunday, April 13, 2008

My name is Kiiira.... Oh I believe

So yesterday my stress and hard work paid off. Well sort of. People still managed to piss me off over this New York trip by not telling me they weren't going and then when I called to ask if they were so I could have a final head count they said no...so now the club has to pay more money that we don't have. But oh well.

I was able to see two shows and eat at the Jekyll and Hyde Club...after eating there for the third time, I realize it's time to find some place new...so that's my next trip's quest, find a new place to eat.

I was able to see two shows: Xanadu and Spring Awakening

Xanadu

WOW. Ok so when I first heard about this show I was think, "What stupid idiot would write something like that and put it on broadway?" Then I saw it....first of all Kerry Butler was perfect for the role and so was Chyenne Jackson. No only was the show funny, but the music was great. Two of us saw the show in the afternoon and then a group of people saw it at night. Alex and I understood the story quite well...the people who saw it at night were like, "I don't know what the story was about but there were 40 disco balls at the end." A lot goes on during the show and I think you have to pay very close attention to understand it all. However, I thought it was a really good show and I'm not saying that because I like ELO.

Spring Awakening

I understand that hype. It's a GREAT show. Lea Michelle and John Groff did a great job and props to Blake who filled his role to wonderful expectations, having to follow Johnny Gallagher Jr was a tough gig. I had read the play by Wedkin this past semester and had to do an analysis on it for class. I know the story pretty well and therefore I had some what higher expectations. While the musical is very different from the play, I think they did a good job at following the story and pulling the key points. I just wished they developed it a little more. Especially Moritz. I mean we get a good picture of why Moritz does what he does and it helps, but I think that there is more we need to understand. The relationship between Wendla and Melchior was well played. Very well played. I think those who have seen the musical without reading the play were impacted. I mean I was impacted but because i knew the story i was hit really hard. I cried, I didn't find things very funny (they tried to make it a bit funny).

Set and Lighting and Staging. WELL DONE! The set was simple and there were barely any props. I believe this relates back to Wedkin's lack of stage direction in his original work. What is the purpose of this? Why no stage direction or props? Well I'm not sure if this is what Wedkin was going for but this is a show that you need to rely on the actor's to provide the message, it requires them to put more thought and emotion into what they are doing. They need to make us feel. The message of the actor has the potential to be really strong. The lighting was amazing. Great job. There were times I felt like I was at concert, but that's ok. The lighting seemed to say, here are the actors singing, listen to them, they have a story to tell that may affect your life, LISTEN TO THEM. The backdrop that "disappeared" to look like bricks were removed like a world was falling apart. Great effect. The staging was EXTREMELY well done. To have everyone on stage, to use the apron of the stage, to have audience members sitting on stage, and more. It was all great! I think one thing that grabbed my attention is the "audience members who sang" . *Edit thanks to Erica..see comments* Cast members are seemingly modern kids, not dressed like the others, with mics who sing in all ensemble numbers. I saw this as an attempt to say...This is their story, but look...It is still happening today. It could happen to you, look at the world around you, question it.

All in all I really enjoyed Spring Awakening. I have had the Cd since the summer and the musical is fantastic....but the show is eye opening. I hope others were able to get out of it all that I did.

Other than that, I had a few drinks, hopped on the bus, and slept most of the way home. I had a great time with friends. I didn't get to stage door but that's ok because they were doing Broadway Cares stuff and that's why I didn't stage door, I'm really glad they do Broadway Cares, because it is so important.

The day was great, warm with no rain. Simply fantastic and I was able to enjoy myself....even if i was stressed out about it.

Until beautiful spring days
~Me

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Audience members aren't picked to sing - cast members dressed in modern clothing enter at the same time as the audience members on stage, using fake tickets to get in. The cast members are the ones singing.